Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day......

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Here's one from Newcastle which I have seen loads of times before, but no doubt there is a story "behind the sign" which could be an interesting little trail to follow..

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/ ... 87b746.jpg

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Robert Sinclair's nice fleet of vans in the 1930's......Bedfords I think...

http://www.monkchester.co.uk/ja2/Robert ... des/m9.jpg
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and before it gets lost and I can't find it again here is a bit of information about Robert Sinclair's innovation and pioneering in 1913.
Extract from:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 00574.html
"First Aerial Parcels Post
AN interesting discovery in connection with the history of the air post in Great Britain is a vignette issued as far back as 1913 by the firm of Robt. Sinclair, Ltd., of Newcastle-on-Tyne, for a series of parcel flights from Gosforth Park to Seaham Harbour and Blyth. These flights were operated by Mr. B.C. Hucks between February 11 and 18, 1913, by means of a 80 h.p. Bleriot monoplane, which is depicted on the stamp in flight over the city.
The "vignette"
http://www.philately.cyng.org.uk/GBAVIALaRoSA1.jpg
The Cargo
http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/image ... 591222.jpg
The plane
http://www.monkchester.co.uk/ja2/Robert ... es/m10.jpg
and B.C.Hucks
..not a "local" with an Aeroplane, but a pioneer himself as this article testifies, and the first to fly over the Bristol Channel, and to "loop the loop".

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Utterly fascinating Neil, really enjoyed despite reading all about Sinclair and ghost adverts on my phone.

Please keep these things coming. I look forward to this thread every day ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Your TV today post about ghost signs made me think of the One Show, there was a guy on there, Harry Hill, who makes a photo collection of dumped mattresses :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Utterly fascinating Neil, really enjoyed despite reading all about Sinclair and ghost adverts on my phone.

Please keep these things coming. I look forward to this thread every day ;)
Thanks for that Jim, can't guarantee quality every time, but I do like a bit of a delve to explore stories and random links behind the pictures. Like I mentioned before I have been past that "Robert Sinclair Tobacco Coy Ltd" sign loads of times without being bothered to look up the story, but a chance listen to the radio wakened my curiosity up.

There's plenty of interest in the subsequent link to Bentfield Charles Hucks, and his aviation exploits. In the early days of WW1 in 1914 there were persistent rumours of a Zeppelin operating from a clandestine base near Grasmere, only dispelled after Lieut. B. C. Hucks -- a highly experienced prewar civil pilot -- had searched the Lake District from a Blériot monoplane.

Lots of links and info on a google search on BC Hucks even a connection with the "Gordon Bennett Aviation Trophy", with good old Gordon of New York Herald fame making another appearance on the FCF :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Spotted a ghost advert on the wall of an old factory in Devizes yesterday but could not stop to take a photo of it - it was in a bad spot and I was going through at rush-hour - such as it is in Devizes!!!

I look out for them now ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Devizes!!! ;)
There's usually something to interest and surprise on a random search, and today's mystery object, in true "20 Questions" style is animal and mineral.....(more mineral than animal, but i bet it has a leather seat).

https://youtu.be/7aDFNydbgQ0?t=371

from a chap called John Girvan, who knows a great deal about the hidden history of Devizes :-D

http://ngirvan.photobiz.com/videos

Regards Neil

and continuing "Devizes Day" , and linking seamlessly with the Robert Sinclair discussion previously, this tobacco tin from E & W Anstie Ltd Devizes (established 190 years!) looks like another story waiting to be discovered :-D They did some very nice cigarette cards of horses and jockeys for one.
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jan 2017, 19:19, edited 4 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I really like Devizes - somewhere I could live very happily...

One thing worth visiting is the Caen Hill Lock Flight

And for the beer lovers amongst us, it's the home of Wadworth's Brewery. They still use horse-drawn drays around the town and have a training pub!!!

Their brewery buildings are absolutely gorgeous... Their visitor centre looks worth a visit.

Even the Wiltshire Police HQ buildings in the town are attractive...

In fact the whole town is most attractive - even down to the duck pond...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, that flight would keep Mum, Alex or Jay busy for a while ! The last two are brothers of mine, and they also have a narrow boat each.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:The last two are brothers of mine
Thought at first you were related to two of the locks James :lol:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Definitely plenty of interest in Devizes.....even the 1960's Library has a Nuclear bunker in its basement all revealed towards the end of the Devizes in wartime walk video linked too. Devizes POW camp, subject itself of a "great escape" plot in 1944, also featured with the last few remaining Romney corrugated iron huts. (Bit bigger than a Nissen)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, see what you can find out about where Gabriel is seen parked in Somerset...

It's a truly gorgeous little town and the location does not do the place justice...

The town has a name that sounds very much like the county it's in...

Dad is resident there in a nursing home ...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Neil, see what you can find out about where Gabriel is seen parked in Somerset...

Stage 1...mission accomplished......that's Market Place Somerton.

Stage 2....find something obscure about it :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 28 Oct 2016, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Neil, see what you can find out about where Gabriel is seen parked in Somerset...
Well in some sort of unlikely link to my recent posts on pictures of the day, Somerton is home to "The London Cigarette Card Company" est 1927. Sutton Road, Somerton.

I will do a delve and see if they have any E & W Anstie examples seeing as it's Devizes Day today :!: :!:

Or indeed any Robert Sinclairs from yesterday!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 28 Oct 2016, 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey