Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

a couple of random shots from my archives, to help things along (same car, different locations)
Attachments
Sunrise 3149.JPG
Derbyshire Dales 006.jpg
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks Puxa.....have you still got your tripod? Keep them coming. There's always something interesting to take a photo of. Havent got round to it yet but my next contribution could well be a post-box.

Specifically a cast iron post box, with the photo just showing the cast letters of the makers name. The sort of thing 99.99% of the general public pass by and take no interest in. Jim's cast iron lion water fountain/standpipe was made by Glenfield & Kennedy of Kilmarnock. Scotland was the cast-iron capital of post boxes too, as we will all find out when I photograph my post-box.
temp4.png
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

As trailed. The cast iron post box kings....

Lion Foundry Co. Ltd Kirkintilloch
NF own work
NF own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

We had one where we lived at Platt, Sevenoaks with VR on it.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 08:37
I thought Fire Hydrant at first, but this geograph image from another Bedfordshire Village describes them thus..
I originally described this as a fire hydrant, but another contributor has sensibly suggested that it would be better described as a standpipe, intended for providing drinking water rather than firefighting.

This example is by Glenfield & Kennedy of Kilmarnock, a very respected name in waterworks fittings

Glenfield and Kennedy were major manufacturers of "Lion drinking fountains"

regards Neil

Thanks! I knew POTD would tease out the story behind those 'bollards' :D

Excellent! Shame they don't seem to be operational now else they would be handy for refilling my bike drinking bottles!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 20:45 As trailed. The cast iron post box kings....

Lion Foundry Co. Ltd Kirkintilloch

Regards Neil
That's planted a seed ;) I shall now start looking out for interesting post boxes on my rides :)

No ride today as I'm running the MK Winter Warmer but yesterday, on my ride home from parkrun I did spot this 'altered' temporary warning sign beside the road...

I've hidden it behind a spoiler as it's a little rude...
Spoiler: show
Own Work
Own Work
I'm not responsible for it! It did make me giggle :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Excellent Jim.

I have posted this up before, but it is lost within the dusty never to be revived little curiosities I have come across......until you have provided the link with your roadsign. When I saw it I thought of this wonderful site, which goes into a fair bit of pictoral detail of the subject....
temp5.png
I have never come across a more detailed site of the minutia of the streetscape and little architectural features of a town. As well as knockers, there's manholes, beeboles, skewputts etc etc...Golf barely gets a mention!"
screenshot
screenshot
Plenty to see if your eyes are open!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Here's my potd, I have a cherry tree that got out of hand so I bought an electric chain saw from Screwfix and had a mad hour with it on Friday.. what a good tool for under fifty quid, the tree guys wanted £198 to cut this tree back.
Attachments
Tree cutting.JPG
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I love how one subject leads onto anbother on here :D I post a slightly naughty picture and that leads onto another kind of knockers :lol: :-D

I ran the MK Winter Warmer 10K today in stunning spring weather :-D It was almost too hot!

Running home I passed the Peace Pagoda by Willen Lake and saw this :D
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Spring is here - for now :)

I enjoyed a brilliant run too. Any chance of a PB was spoilt by needing an impromptu 'pit-stop' during the run :evil: Still a great time though and I'm happy :D
Own Work
Own Work
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

seems like one heck of an average speed to me Jim, while I must mention I know marginally more about running than I do brain surgery.

Yes, still got the Tripod Neil (that very same one). Photography's taking a bit of a back seat at the mo while I'm up to my eyes in other things, but will get back to it.... one day!

Has anyone else noticed what appears to be a new style of London Hackney? Bizarrely, in a world where vehicles are getting larger, the London Taxi seems to have got smaller (me thinks its either Hybrid or Leccy powered). This one's pictured on the A400 near Baker St, just past an MG Dealership and a most bizarre structure on the wall at the front of Westminster Mag's Ct. (we were on a bunfight to Mme Tussauds, free with the Sun).... styling seems to be 'typically modern' let us say.
Attachments
IMG_3433.JPG
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 17:16 seems like one heck of an average speed to me Jim, while I must mention I know marginally more about running than I do brain surgery.
It's a fair pace for one such as I and works out at around 8 minutes 45 seconds per mile... So, around 6.5 mph (ish) :) Runners never speak of speed in mph but in time per mile or time per Km...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 17:16 Has anyone else noticed what appears to be a new style of London Hackney? Bizarrely, in a world where vehicles are getting larger, the London Taxi seems to have got smaller (me thinks its either Hybrid or Leccy powered). This one's pictured on the A400 near Baker St, just past an MG Dealership and a most bizarre structure on the wall at the front of Westminster Mag's Ct. (we were on a bunfight to Mme Tussauds, free with the Sun).... styling seems to be 'typically modern' let us say.

Yes, again where 'modern' styling equates to rather ugly and horrible :twisted: Those lights look particularly awful!

I believe they are hybrids as i heard a piece on the wireless the other day that I understood to be saying that all London Taxis must now be electric or hybrid... Don't take that as gospel as I'm not the sharpest too in the box for fully understanding things nowadays...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Spotted whilst out on a walk today in the countryside around here - a good old fashioned ford :)
Stedham ford - own work
Stedham ford - own work
And also on the walk - a post box made at Machan Engineering, Scotland, who are sadly no longer with us :(
There was an article on the BBC website about their fears for the future back in 2013....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-25015280

Sadly they succumbed in 2015 when their orders from the Post Office fell away:
"THE Scots firm who made Britain’s iconic red ­postboxes have had to close after losing orders from the Royal Mail.

Machan Engineering were the only foundry in the UK to make the traditional cast-iron pillar boxes.

The company had supplied Royal Mail since the 1980s and used to get 150 orders a year. But in 2014, they only received 20 orders and this year they had just one."
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... ng-6568736

Stedham post box - own work
Stedham post box - own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

I like that Bobins....The makers of the PO Box I photographed Lion Foundry Company at Kirkintilloch also closed in 1984. Graces guide as always has a bit of interesting history on the firm.

https://gracesguide.co.uk/Lion_Foundry

They had a few strings to their bow, from pipes and gutters and sanitary ware, to fire escapes, and structural ironwork for the likes of the County Arcade in Leeds and the New Conway Bridge.

and further afield the Great Southern Railway in Buenos Aires has this example of the Lion Foundry's work

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Class 139.....but whats unusual about it?

Parry People Mover 139 002 leaving Stourbridge Town Railway Station - geograph.org.uk - 1376879
P L Chadwick / Parry People Mover 139 002 leaving Stourbridge Town Railway Station, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

bobins wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 21:13 Spotted whilst out on a walk today in the countryside around here - a good old fashioned ford :)

Stedham ford .jpg

And also on the walk - a post box made at Machan Engineering, Scotland, who are sadly no longer with us :(
There was an article on the BBC website about their fears for the future back in 2013....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-25015280

Sadly they succumbed in 2015 when their orders from the Post Office fell away:
"THE Scots firm who made Britain’s iconic red ­postboxes have had to close after losing orders from the Royal Mail.

Machan Engineering were the only foundry in the UK to make the traditional cast-iron pillar boxes.

The company had supplied Royal Mail since the 1980s and used to get 150 orders a year. But in 2014, they only received 20 orders and this year they had just one."
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... ng-6568736

Stedham P-box.jpg

That's nice. Does anyone know the one at Eynsford?

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That cute little 139 looks as if it has borrowed parts from a Fiat Multipla.
Just looked up the details on Wikipedia - fascinating: a quite unexpected motive power!
Chris