Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It's a Vitara. I like Vitaras. You'll probably find this ridiculous. My mum bought one new, had it for 10 years with no failures whatsoever then we ran it for 4 years until kids came along and the small boot made me sell it. It's still going more more than 22 years old, and never breaks!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by citronut »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Suzuki Vitara
no no Neil to the right of the Pug 306 sedan not the left :roll: #-o :wink:

you do really have to squint but there is a car there honest
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:Suzuki Vitara
no no Neil to the right of the Pug 306 sedan not the left
I've zoomed in as far as I can, and all I can tell you is that it's a 306 hatch.

The other car has a sloping bonnet, some sort of modern thing I think.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I saw one of these today......had no idea what it was at the time but I know now.

points available, particularly if the answer can be arrived at without the aid of technology!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Bambi, the Triumph Fawn!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Being a fan of 3-wheeler s**t, I can tell you exactly what it is. It's a Coronet, built originally in Denham, Bucks. I believe it's powered by a small 330cc two-smoke.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote: I believe it's powered by a small 330cc two-smoke.
Likely a Villiers motorbike engine. It may even have had a 'Dynastart' - a device that acted as both an dynamo and starter. They fell out of favour for many years and have curiously been reinvented - like the DS follow-me lights were - for a new generation of stop-start engines. A neighbour's new 125cc scooter has a combined starter and alternator for just this purpose.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

The three-wheeler hasn't quite gone away yet. This one's due to be launched in the US costing $6800 built in a factory formerly producing Hummers

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote: like the DS follow-me lights were - A neighbour's new 125cc scooter has a combined starter and alternator for just this purpose.
and follow me head lamp/s :roll: #-o :-D :lol: :wink:

but then i spoz bikes probably had these before the DS :o :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
NewcastleFalcon

northern_mike wrote:Being a fan of 3-wheeler (-expletive removed-), I can tell you exactly what it is. It's a Coronet, built originally in Denham, Bucks. I believe it's powered by a small 330cc two-smoke.
all you ever wanted to know about the Coronet but were afraid to ask!

and the pints go to......northern-mike take your pick :)

regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a most interesting little site Neil. What a lovely little car. I can't help feeing it was a bit ahead of its time really.

I see I was wrong on the engine. It was the other popular one of the period - the Excelsior...

I was right about it having a Siba Dynastart though. Can I have a cup of tea on the strength of that please?

Those beers look a bit fiery... Chilli flavour perhaps?
citronut wrote:
CitroJim wrote: like the DS follow-me lights were - A neighbour's new 125cc scooter has a combined starter and alternator for just this purpose.
and follow me head lamp/s :roll: #-o :-D :lol: :wink:

but then i spoz bikes probably had these before the DS :o :wink:
I was trying to draw a comparison on how automotive firms have a habit of reinventing things and claiming them to be brand-new Malcolm!

They have never heard of the old adage that there's nothing new under the sun...

Yes, bikes do tend to have follow-me lights - even push-bikes - it's in their nature :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:
That's a most interesting little site Neil. What a lovely little car. I can't help feeing it was a bit ahead of its time really.

Those beers look a bit fiery... Chilli flavour perhaps?
I am afraid I not only had a good look at the site about the Coronet but I also further clicked onto one of the links. Rather than a cup of tea Jim, you might like to treat yourself to 5 minutes at the virtual tour of the Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum. Oh dear I spent much more than 5 minutes on it though-some absolutely fantastic microcars assembled by an obviously very well heeled collector. I found out subsequently that the entire collection, cars, models and other memoribilia was auctioned in 2013, and achieved some seriously high prices. The museum is unfortunately is no longer available to visit, but the virtual tour remains.

Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum Virtual Tour

Here is a case in point. I recently got sent a link to an ebay listing for a Fiat 600 Multipla.
It was £14,000 which I thought was a lot of money for a little car, but the one from the museum (pic below) fetched $66,125 so maybe the ebay one is a bargain!

Regards Neil

ps the beers all take their names from the town of Consett in Durham which was dominated by the Consett Iron Company for over 100 years.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I was brought up on a diet of microcars and weird stuff. My dad was into all that. Sadly he wasn't in a position to own one when I was a kid, so we traipsed all over to microcar and bubble car rallies instead.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Back in the 70s and 80s some of our relatives had a Fiat 600 Multipla. Remarkably spacious for the size of body!

Gosh, if only they and we knew then what they'd be worth now. Theirs was in good condition too... painted in two-tone pale green and cream.
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Just a few from the former Bruce Weiner Collection

Exhibit A-9,000 of these were produced (1960-1965)

Exhibit B-95,000 of these were produced this being a particularly rare Australian RHD model

Exhibit C-11,284 of these were produced (1964-66)

points, pints or even virtual cups of tea on offer.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey