Computer operating systems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Computer operating systems

Post by myglaren »

Nice to know Jim!
I usually wait a while before upgrading but might do it sooner this time.
Also we bought my youngest grandson a Zoostorm bare metal laptop a couple of weeks ago and dropped Saucy onto it. He's familiar with Ubuntu and Mint so it held no surprises other than it was up and running less than half an hour after it was delivered :)

Also put Minecraft on it for him, which took about ten minutes including research as I don't do games so knew nothing about it.
He was seriously impressed as it had taken hours to get it onto his dad's Mac and Lenny's Zoostorm is faster and smoother than the Mac :)
He's staying here Friday night so may upgrade for him then - he knew there was an upgrade imminent.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's a straight upgrade from the update manager on Saucy (13.x) Steve and very smooth too.

If you want to upgrade any earlier version you need to burn the 14.04 distro and then upgrade from there. Again a very smooth process.

I used 14.04 intensively last evening and have not yet found a problem with it. The speed of it on marginal hardware is impressive.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Excellent. I have downloaded it and will install mine from a dongle. I've made some tweaks that have altered other things and want to reset them but mainly I downloaded a Jackie Evancho song otherwise unavailable from a Russian site and feel the need to purge the machine, just in case.

I'll just run the upgrade on Len's laptop as it has only been running two weeks and hasn't had chance to ruin anything yet.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Might have a punt at that... pretty sure mine is still running the last LTS version. Was reading a review of it - still some problems with it, but then half of what the author was talking about I didn't understand anyway!! Just need to check it's OK with the NVidia craphics in my laptop - when I installed the last version, all I got was a black screen till I fiddled with the video driver....
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nvidia cards can be a bit funny but hopefully Ubuntu have now sorted that Richard..

Another nice thing is 14.04 properly goes to sleep on my laptop and wakes up in an instant when asked to. It wakes a lot faster than Windows 8 does on my other laptop..

So far I'm finding nothing not to like...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My previous computer had Nvidia gaphics, as did the one before it and Linux has always performed well with them.
The problems may be with more recent hardware though.

In fact, none of the computer's that I have put Linux on have had any problems other than My ASUS laptop that gets a bit tangled up after a couple of months running Ubuntu but has performed faultlessly with Linux Mint.

Linus & NVIDIA:

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Did an online upgrade in the end, couldn't be bothered with the clean install, set it away and went in the bath and here it is all done finished.
Completely painless and hassle free.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Steve :-D
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just seen on The Register that the online upgrade has borked a lot of machines. Not terminal, just the bootloader. We may have been lucky.
I upgraded Len's laptop yesterday and made a few tweaks to get iPlayer and ITVPlayer running properly. His survived the upgrade too.
Had to enable his webcam for him - mine enabled itself on installing Ubuntu and wanted to take a photo of me for an avatar - no way!
The command is "Cheese" which tickled me :)
A slight diversion, a new computer language! Oh Noes :shock:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Happy to say I remain very happy with 14.04 :-D

I liked your picture Xac :-D Seriously for a moment, which language or languages would you recommend a person learns as being most useful in today’s IT world .. We're thinking perl, python, java and javascript.

I also added Unix shell scripting and Windows PowerShell scripting to the list of suggestions..
Jim

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Would have thought this thread would have had more recent posts :P

I'm still using Windows 8.1, but have been dabbling with Cygwin for some terminal stuff that I want to use for work. I settled for using Babun (a customised cygwin that's more geared towards developer folk), but I'm also using byobu (with tmux) for having a few terminal splits, have one for using hg (mercurial) commands in. Currently another hosts profanity (a XMPP client) that I use for chatting to others at work.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I can add to it Ben :-D

I'm currently playing with Fedora 21 beta on a spare laptop and loving it. In fact I'm using it now to post to this thread...

I've never looked at earlier versions of Fedora but this one seems to be really snapping at Ubuntu's heels... Even The Register thinks so...

The forum is now running under CentOS 7...

Windows is for Lexia and Mobile phones only in my house :lol:
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

OS X Yosemite :-D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:OS X Yosemite :-D
Looks like you hit the keyboard with your fist and generated some random characters Richard :lol:

Or were you using a Windows machine and hit the keyboard with your head in frustration?
Jim