Xantia Activa v6 swap (LHD)

Contains the Activa Register, Buyers Guide and Activa "finds" on eBay and elseware. Post Activa-specific items there that do not fall naturally into the Citroen Forum.

Moderator: RichardW

SterkeYerke

Xantia Activa v6 swap (LHD)

Post by SterkeYerke » 11 Jul 2018, 15:31

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm Feije, and I'm new here. I'm from the Netherlands and I've got a Xantia Activa Turbo CT from november 1996.
After retrofitting my Xantia with a/c last summer, I have now decided I want to build just about the ultimate Xantia (for me at least). One major step in trying to get that is to fit it with a v6 engine rather than the TCT I've got now. I've been asking for help on some Dutch forums, but no-one seems to have done this before on those. Although I'm still wondering whether or not I should actually do this swap, I believe some people here have actually done this before, since the v6 Activa was never officially imported to the UK.
Does anyone here know, for instance, whether or not I would have to do some welding on my Xantia in order to get the v6 in? I've read somewhere that the v6 Activa could have some stiffening around the bulkhead ans subframe. Does my car have this as well, and if not, would I have to weld those parts in?
And would it be easier to start from the top, lifting out just the engine, or to just drop the whole sub frame down from the car and replace that with the sub frame of a v6? I am planning to get a v6 Activa as a donor car, although even in Europe these aren't easy to find. And what about all the wiring? Do I have to replace all of the wiring loom in the engine bay or even behind the dashboard? And does it matter whether I get a s1 or s2 Xantia? I imagine there could be quite a few electrical differences between those as well. Would it be any easier to fit a v6 from a Xantia s1 than one from a s2, since mine is a '96? Has anyone ever even done a v6 swap on a '95 or '96 Activa?

Kind regards,
Feije

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Xantia Activa v6 swap (LHD)

Post by GiveMeABreak » 11 Jul 2018, 15:39

Hi and welcome - I've moved your thread to the Activa section.

SterkeYerke

Post by SterkeYerke » 11 Jul 2018, 16:06

Woops, I hadn't even discovered that section yet :oops:, but thanks! I've only been searching the Citroën section so far.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak » 11 Jul 2018, 18:05

There's plenty here on the Activa with quite a few past and present owners, so hopefully you'll find some useful tips :wink:

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 11 Jul 2018, 19:10

There is quite a lot of information on the V6 conversion in this forum, but to get you thinking...

I haven't owned an Activa, but I have owned several Xantia V6 Exclusives (and an XM). You will need to change your gearbox for a V6 type, the TCT gearbox won't fit the V6, but the engine and gearbox can be obtained more easily from a Peugeot 406. Only a Xantia or XM engine will have the correct V6 hydraulic pump with removable pulley.

A Mk1 V6 engine wiring harness will fit more easily than a Mk2, as losts of connectors changed. An automatic harness will do (you can just ignore the extra wires). You should try to find an ES9 engine ECU for manual transmission (with keypad immobiliser), from a 406, Xantia or XM.

You can fit the V6 steering rack (Exclusive and Activa V6 are the same, but if you do, you must also fit the pipes and steering regulator from a V6 (on the TCT and other Xantia, the steering pressure regulator is built into the rack).

I don't think that any other modifications are needed to your subframe, but fit a set of 288 mm brakes and callipers (used on Xantia V6, also Xantia 110 HDI).
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 12 Jul 2018, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected brake interchange

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 11 Jul 2018, 19:16

Have a read of my trials and tribulations with a V6 Activa.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 17&t=50854

SterkeYerke

Post by SterkeYerke » 11 Jul 2018, 22:31

147 pages! I'm sure I won't be bored anytime soon ;).
Since I'm planning on getting a whole v6 Activa to get the engine out of, finding a manual gearbox and ECU won't be a problem for me (if I manage to find one at all, that is). I do believe I'll have to get a mk1 donor car though. Or have people actually been putting Xantia mk2 v6 engines into a mk1 without having to face lots of problems with the wiring?

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 11 Jul 2018, 23:18

I have a V6 engine (on an auto box) spare here atm....also a v6 pump. (V6 Auto Exclusive)....but the Netherlands is far off.

If parts are hard to find in the Netherlands I could put them on a pallet for shipment.

SterkeYerke

Post by SterkeYerke » 12 Jul 2018, 00:10

I will actually be on holiday in the UK in a few weeks, but I'm not sure the rest of the family will agree to lug back a v6 :lol:. But then again, wouldn't it be easier just to find a whole car and strip the parts I need? Besides, I'd still need to find a gearbox and an ECU (and possibly a wiring loom, if yours is from a mk2). And probably the front suspension struts (they seem to be different) and steering rack as well.
And what about the stiffening around the bulkhead and so on? Does anyone here know about that? I'm sure I've read about it somewhere on this forum, but perhaps a TCT might have the same stiffening as well? Or it might just be unnecessary (but then why would Citroën put it there?)? I haven't read of someone swapping their TCT actually welding those stiffenings in place as well :-k.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 12 Jul 2018, 01:23

LOL, I would think they would not be happy :)

Gearbox and flywheel

The engine is from an s1 car, ECU is for an auto so is not really suitable.(and has gone)

I am not sure about the added welding. The Uk converted cars use the 2ltr TCT struts without problems. Yes you will need a LHD rack. Maybe a radiator as well, is your car equipped with AirCon ?

SterkeYerke

Post by SterkeYerke » 12 Jul 2018, 01:56

Yeah it's got aircon now, I've retrofitted it last summer, but the radiator as well as the intercooler (but not the fans) are the same for all tct models (at least in the Xantia). I believe all v6 models had aircon too.
Putting v6 struts in mine shouldn't be too difficult I guess, I believe a friend of mine has already done that to his tct when he needed replacements. They're slightly thicker. Better safe than sorry in that regard ;).

SterkeYerke

Post by SterkeYerke » 13 Jul 2018, 14:04

Could I try to get the engine from an XM in my Xantia? An XM with the ES9 v6 is a lot easier to come by (there's one for sale for €375), but I imagine engine mounts and wiring will be quite different...

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 13 Jul 2018, 14:33

An XM (especially if manual transmission) would be a good engine donor. The XM engine mounts are compatible, but the wiring and connectors are different (as is the air filter and hoses).

SterkeYerke

Post by SterkeYerke » 13 Jul 2018, 16:46

This one's got a (broken) automatic transmission, so I'd still have to find a manual gearbox. How could I sort out the wiring though? What exactly is the difference between a Xantia's and an XM's wiring? Is it just the connectors?
I might perhaps also try and find a 406, as I imagine the wiring of that (if at least it's a ph1) could be similar, right? But then I'd still have to get a hydraulic pump... Still, do you reckon a 406 D8 might be a better donor than an XM?

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 13 Jul 2018, 19:17

The wiring differences are mostly different connectors and pin-outs, so with cutting and splicing, they can be made to work.

I have a good spare XM automatic transmission, but that is not what you came in for?

My advice would be to start by finding an ES9 gearbox donor, and if you are lucky, it will come with an engine and ECU.

ES9 hydraulic pumps are fairly rare, and tend to be relatively expensive