New car, important things to do for longevity?

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

Bick

Re: New car, important things to do for longevity?

Post by Bick »

white exec wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:14 Heck, that stuff is expensive!

Its very good though and ive never seen anything else on the market as thin as it. Its used in bodyshops to rust proof repairs for warranty purposes.

If you have an account with Wurth it is cheaper - they do a lot of other unique stuff also like the electrical contact cleaner with an acid suspended in dielectric grease, or the spray grease suspended in solvent so it cleans out then leaves a high quality grease behind - after using some of the Wurth products you you will find it difficult not to keep using them.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: New car, important things to do for longevity?

Post by white exec »

I have used an aerosol sprayable grease (made by Innotec), and it was remarkable stuff. Sprayed on as easily as thin paint, but turned into a thick, clingy and water-repellant grease within several minutes.

Did try to obtain some Wurth cavity wax (fluid) here, from their large trade supply-base in Malaga, but they first denied the product existed, and then - shown their own web catalogue page - simply stated that the product wasn't available in Spain.

There is a belief that cars don't rust here, and it's more-or-less true, but not something I've felt like personally putting the XM to the test over. My local motor factor sells 4CR products (also made in Germany), and seemed happy enough to lay in a carton (12 x 1-litre) of their Cavity Wax, which I sprayed on and injected with the Sealey gun. Cost of the goop was slightly less than Waxoyl, and a far more durable product, especially in weathered areas.
Chris