C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Post by myglaren » 16 Jul 2012, 14:21

This is becoming a frequent item so I'm going to bung a reference post here.

Ideally needs to be in a garage and if the battery is at all suspect this should be charged overnight. A defective or discharged battery can cause a lot of headaches and may result it more problems after performing this procedure.

Drop the suspension to low (to prevent the pump running when you refit the battery).
Open the driver's window and remove the keys, close any doors.
Wait at least ten minutes, ideally half an hour.

Unclip the battery leads.
Short them together through a resistance - a festoon bulb is ideal - for a minute or so.
Short the battery leads together for a minute.

Wait at least half an hour.

Replace the battery and clip the leads on. Do not open the door or otherwise disturb the car.
Wait at least ten minutes.
Reach in through the window and put the sidelights on. Wait a few minutes, five to ten ideal.
Reach in and turn the ignition on but do not start the engine. Wait five minutes.
Start the engine and let it idle for five minutes.
Open the door, get in and operate the suspension buttons. Image

If all is well then you will need to retune the radio, reset the time and date, reset autolights and reset window controls.

Note that Marc has posted a slightly different procedure here

Tonyfarricker

Re: C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Post by Tonyfarricker » 19 Sep 2012, 22:50

Hi what does this procedure fix / used for please

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 19 Sep 2012, 23:22

I guess just to remove and refit the battery? :shock:

I have never done this and had no problems at all.

But I would say that a battery which is at the end of its life can cause very strange happenings to a C5.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 20 Sep 2012, 06:56

Yep, disconnection and removal/replacement of the battery.
Sorry that I didn't make that clear in the OP. I knew what I meant :(

JohnD
Donor 2016

Post by JohnD » 20 Sep 2012, 09:07

Also disconnecting the battery can sometimes cure various faults with the electrical system. Last time I did it was when I after starting, I had no power steering. By disconnecting the battery for a while power was restored.

Tonyfarricker

Post by Tonyfarricker » 20 Sep 2012, 10:29

Thanks, sorry if I sounded a bit dum it just seemed a lot of work just to remove the battery, I'm new to citroen's I've just got my first one a C5 hdi estate, after 20 years of motoring, I must admit I do like it :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 20 Sep 2012, 19:58

It is a lot of work but worth it when you consider that all the ECUs need time to store their information and shut down, then to sequentially reboot when power is restored.

Like shutting down/rebooting Windows but more so.

Longyear

Post by Longyear » 26 Sep 2012, 15:25

This is an excellent guide - I've just carefully followed the procedure and a couple of small issues I've been having have been resolved. :)

456eec

Post by 456eec » 04 Oct 2012, 05:54

Excellent information.
I would see this being useful if I want to do a fuel filter change as you need to disconnect the battery for this.
We've just got ours and didn't get a handbook with it. If we get a handbook does it tell how to retune radio, time, date etc?

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 04 Oct 2012, 07:22

It does for mine - which C5 do you have as there is no need to disconnect the battery to change the fuel filter on mine.

JohnD
Donor 2016

Post by JohnD » 04 Oct 2012, 11:47

456eec wrote:Excellent information.
you need to disconnect the battery for this.
?

Yes - it says that in Haynes but as already said, there's no need to.

citronut

Post by citronut » 27 Oct 2012, 08:34

myglaren wrote:This is becoming a frequent item so I'm going to bung a reference post here.

Ideally needs to be in a garage and if the battery is at all suspect this should be charged overnight. A defective or discharged battery can cause a lot of headaches and may result it more problems after performing this procedure.

Drop the suspension to low (to prevent the pump running when you refit the battery).
Open the driver's window and remove the keys, close any doors.
Wait at least ten minutes, ideally half an hour.

Unclip the battery leads.
Short them together through a resistance - a festoon bulb is ideal - for a minute or so.
Short the battery leads together for a minute.

Wait at least half an hour.

Replace the battery and clip the leads on. Do not open the door or otherwise disturb the car.
Wait at least ten minutes.
Reach in through the window and put the sidelights on. Wait a few minutes, five to ten ideal.
Reach in and turn the ignition on but do not start the engine. Wait five minutes.
Start the engine and let it idle for five minutes.
Open the door, get in and operate the suspension buttons. Image

If all is well then you will need to retune the radio, reset the time and date, reset autolights and reset window controls.

so if i had to replace a battery i will require the car for two days :yikes: :zzz: :zzz: :teabag: :teabag: :teabag: :teabag: :teabag: :roll: :wink:

myc5

Post by myc5 » 23 Nov 2012, 20:30

Guys and girls................I can not say a big enough THANK YOU to everyone who spent time helping me with this problem........you are all GREAT!!! The car now starts after following the battery reconnection method from myglaren and citronut. It took quite a while but obviously worth it. Thank you everyone again from a very cold and wet Isle of Skye..........cheers!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 » 20 Dec 2012, 16:06

Its also possible to run jump leads from the battery terminals to the new battery and then swap out the old/new batteries with no interruption to the power supply.

Ben82

Post by Ben82 » 17 Jan 2013, 14:52

Finally worked out how to get the battery cover off on my C5 to take a look at the battery, first thing I noticed was this mess on the negative terminal.

Short and sweet, do I need to follow the above procedure to clean off this terminal? (mainly the before and after stuff)